Friday, September 7, 2012

Microteach 1 - Preview

http://youtu.be/kBazhcG2v_4

Finally got the video to load!!!

After having taught the warm up lesson four times this week, there are two major things I Have to think about. First is the nature of my teaching, and approaching the class discussions. When I recorded the lessons, I sat down and made a list of some things I felt I needed to improve. I feel like I can be a little harsh with my students. I think because there are twenty of them, and it is difficult at times to keep them from chatting among themselves in Korean, i have to be a bit authoritative at times. I am the only man in a room full of young women, trying to get them to think creatively to expand their mind both individually and collectively, but still maintain some power over them. I know the ones that are friendly with me outside of the classroom are always more likely to talk, and I try to build upon that notion with all of them, but I don't want it to become something they abuse as if I am their equal. So i need to figure out a better way to incorporate their ability to promote discussion, and allow myself to be far enough removed to still keep it relatively centered on the main lesson.I was very happy with most of their participation, and it seems to be overall much better than before.
 Second, I need to create some creative techniques for group work, and dividing the students into feasible group for the occasional class. The real challenge is that there are a number of cliques and getting them to work with someone outside of is is a challenge. But if I leave them in their circle of friends for class, they will revert back to using Korean too easily. I may incorporate some class leader positions and have preset groups divided in order to make a balance mix of students with different proficiency levels.This way, their group leader with greater skills can help keep groups focused on using English while i am surveying the entire class. Another thing I might consider is some kind of point/reward system. I have used this with kids on several occasions, but i wonder if the process would be demeaning at all to university level students.I do know though that if I work on more positive feedback, or at least lead them into thinking deeper with better questions, I can manage the classe more successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment