Friday, September 7, 2012
Waking to thoughts of teaching practice
Yesterday evening I had the opportunity to fill in for a friend at an elementary academy. It is the first time I have taught young kids since I started reading all of this material and I woke up this morning thinking about a couple ways that I teach different audiences. I think with kids, I am a much kinder instructor than with older students. My feedback is hardly ever explicit error correction, and I am always trying to coax answers from them in as positive a way as possible.With my university students, I am a bit harsh. I say no way more and am more forward in correcting their mistakes. I think this is because my own preferences in learning or doing some activity. I much prefer someone get to the point and tell me I am screwing up when I make a mistake. If i immediately understand my error, I am much more prone to think about how to solve it, and it sticks with me longer. Next month I start some extra business classes with adults. I am curious how my initial method of handling them will be different from young learners and university students, especially after hopefully gaining some knowledge from our material.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment