Friday, September 14, 2012

Paper Reflection

Immediately after the lessons from Saturday, and examining my transcripts I felt overwhelmed by what I consider to be a lack of effective teaching on my part. So being approached to complete an essay on some aspect of research involving my teaching, I wanted to see if altering my lessons in the following week by incorporating more variety in initiation and feedback, I could help bring about more open communication from my students. Breaking habits ain't all that easy. After recording a few days worth of lessons, I have been able to change a few things about my feedback that helps keep student input at the forefront of the classroom. But there is always room for improvement, and I feel like I have an empty warehouse to fill in with things I could incorporate. Now comes the tedious process of transcribing all the necessary bits I want to use to compare my teaching style. I think seeing it on paper will give me a clearer sense of how to narrow my topic, and quickly build some support around with I can start building a paper.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're way ahead of the game, and not in a bad way. This paper only asks you to identify what you've understood about your t-talk, and suggest 'next steps' for change. Sounds like you've suggested them to yourself already, and are analyzing results. Up to you -- but that's more than required. Not a bad thing, just be sure to do it all justice if that's the direction you're going in. You COULD save the extra stuff for the next paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is certainly good news. Looks like my week of typing and editing and typing again got a little easier!

      Delete
  2. I'm in the same boat, bud. Let me know if you'd be down for a little cross-analysis in future. Seems like we're both interested in a much larger pool of data, and if we do the legwork of transcribing independently and as time allows, it might make any additional work all the easier. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete