Friday, September 7, 2012
Split myself in two
Well, just finished picking through my transcripts for CI features and watching my video recording for the 20th time. I honestly don't know what to think. I found that I certainly repeat and a lot, which according to Xie's article is the most common approach, but I sound like a broken record. I do rephrase quite a bit as well in hopes that students will understand different ways to express meaning. Oddly enough, I don't realize that I am doing those things when I do them. It is interesting to find out that the things I do and say in class have been categorized and studied, but after reading those articles, I am a little confused about what works best. There seemed to be a rebuttal for every success study for each of the techniques. So for now, seeing as how I have a new kind of class, and my students have never taken a literature class before, I am going to have to do a lot of trial and error experimentation in class. I want to still focus on major themes in these novels, but I also want to get the students leading the discussion as much as possible. I want to try to incorporate as many of the questioning techniques as possible just to see which ones work well for my particular group of students. Feedback is actually another area I should certainly be more consistent about. I find myself using more explicit correction with students who are less like to participate and more clarification requests with students I know will talk. I think I have this completely backwards and am probably hindering the learning capabilities of the former student.I think when students start to discuss themes from the novel, instead of right or wrong answers, this will be a bot easier to mend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, life is muddy. There's a time and a place for everything... in pursuit of your optimum 'quality of classroom life' -- sounds like you're now in on the chase and aware of many of the barriers!
ReplyDelete