Pronunciation 1 Part 1 http://youtu.be/YTxIVMxr40M
Pronunciation 1 Part 2 http://youtu.be/L23wSVj1Wjo
Pronunciation 2 Part 1 http://youtu.be/VjYvcqBAGC0
Pronunciation 2 Part 2 http://youtu.be/Mj1AkaJDt14
Here is a pronunciation lesson I did for two classes back to back.... Practice makes perfect, and I need more of it.
Both of these classes use the same activity to work on similar pronunciation features. It is one I used from the Harmer book that I thought would be useful, but I think there are some changes to be made if I want this to work efficiently. As a way to apply this activity to something useful, I started with phrases on the WB that they have been using to prepare for their speech contest to model how we use stress in certain syllables. After going through those, I briefly explained the what they need to do on the activity page and let them work in pairs. The first class spent too much time in my first step, and perhaps too much time in their pair work as well, but I expected a bit of this as it was my first run going through the activity, and their level might be a little lower than this activity or my intro were planned. The second class got through the first part quickly enough, but had more difficulty with some of the pronunciations with contractions, or incorrectly assuming the wrong number of syllables.
Some Problems - I speak to fast on too many occasions, and say too much at times. I really need to work on slowing down when students need clear, understandable input. For this particular activity, I might explain some of the stresses too much when I should let the phrase said correctly be all the input i give.The activity itself need a little more concise setup that what I gave it in the first class. The second class was a bit better, but I think it can be improved.Having students mimic me might be a little touch of good old behaviorism techniques, but I think it is called for in this situation.
After watching these, I though I would check out a video on learning pronunciation in a language I haven't studied. I watched Chinese with Gloria to see how it would be taught in a tonal language. The goes along quite slow and is a little repetitive but I think does a really good job an being understood. Next time I will slow down and limit my speech a bit more, and work on having students lead the talk to discover certain features of this kind of lesson.
You've been a busy cameraman and teacher. Awaiting your thoughts.
ReplyDelete