Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Vocabulary Schmabulary

Part 1 - http://youtu.be/ZkbwyGYOOas
Part 2 - http://youtu.be/bEK4-nNZgk0

Vocabulary is tricky in that it is hard to make into something interesting, at least beyond making a silly game out of it. So for this class I used bits of a Harmer activity meshed with the material from our textbook for the class. The whole activity took about 40 minutes, but I edited out a part where we brought in the ideas of family structure and and a short discussion about that. If I were to redo this lesson, I would go ahead and do that bit at the beginning to get them activated first, but generally I don't have a problem getting their attention.This particular activity ended up being a mesh of grammar and vocab with phrasal verb vocabulary. They were fairly talkative, and getting them to speak in pairs worked well as I heard some good things from their conversations to think about in the lesson. I feel like am am getting students to talk a lot, and spreading out the participation and speaking enough to cover everyone in the class, but I still think I am going a little too fast at times and while I know several students can follow, there may be some in the class that have difficulty. Also with this activity, I might practice my own delivery with these vocab words. I did this lesson with our much planning, and as I am in a rush to make this class on time, I am usually frantically organizing things right before class. I can definitely see how better preparation would be way better for this class, but with my current schedule, it is hardly an option. This lesson will flow into the next day's reading, so we will see if any of these stick and I can be a bit smoother in the way I direct this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment