Video Part 1 - http://youtu.be/_SlQBpVcNHA
Video Part 2 - http://youtu.be/F7PFboZT6jQ
Video Part 3 - http://youtu.be/zhTlyDtpeOM
Video Part 4 - http://youtu.be/JpiAC7Fn16o
This is a lesson I did about interacting with strangers and families with different values and behaviors.We did this lesson in one of our classes, but I think the use of it in this class worked out fairly well. I had some really enthusiastic students and some that took their roles really seriously.
Problems with the activity: I perhaps spent too much time in the initial activation stage. This left less time for students to really get into character, and other parts of the lesson. Perhaps the reflection at the end could have been more focused and I could have planned more specific questions for them to think about and answer. I should have written the instructions in Korean as well, because I think there might have been a few students who couldn't grasp what they were supposed to do during the activity.
Successes: Students got involved using English to role play. They came up with good individual responses and judgments about the opposing groups. Students could see and felt how uncomfortable it is to be in a situation with people having different cultural values and behaviors. They were able to form opinions and then reflect on how their opinion might be overly biased to their own ideologies.
This particular group of students are fairly competent at communicating their opinions about our subjects. For this lesson, they were very judgmental about the opposing family, but they tend to do this in a number of lessons we have had. We actually did a reading lesson, which I recorded for meth, that was interesting in talking about family interaction and norms. This activity would have been good to follow up that lesson and have students watch the video of themselves behaving in the awkward family situation. I think that would have allowed them to see how they physically display their own prejudices.
No comments:
Post a Comment